Tuesday, February 07, 2012

Alejandro Jodorowsky

Happy 83rd birthday to eccentric genius Alejandro Jodorowsky.



“Most directors make films with their eyes; I make films with my testicles.”

“One day, someone showed me a glass of water that was half full. And he said, ‘Is it half full or half empty?’ So I drank the water. No more problem.”

“What I am trying to do when I use symbols is to awaken in your unconscious some reaction. I am very conscious of what I am using because symbols can be very dangerous. When we use normal language we can defend ourselves because our society is a linguistic society, a semantic society. But when you start to speak, not with words, but only with images, the people cannot defend themselves.”

Witty, visionary and – let’s face it – pretty fucking dangerous, how can you not love a guy who is so completely true to his art?

3 comments:

Franco Macabro said...

One of my biggest heroes. I love the interviews in the Santa Sangre DVD, you can see just how excentric he really is!

Joanna said...

I love this guy and his work. Thanks for the note on his b-day!
-Joanna Swan

Anonymous said...

I love the quote. I will definitely watch his films. Thanks for introducing me to all these amazing (and not so amazing) films. I watched a tearjerker last night and I laughed mao: Crazy Stupid Love. I'd love to read what you think about that movie.!